A.G. Williams Painting’s Benjamin Moore representative was kind enough to put together some tips of the trade for us to provide for our clients. Here are some Exterior Staining tips that we hope you will find useful.
EXTERIOR SIDING STAINING TIPS
1) Stain doesn’t stay mixed the same way paint does. You’ll need to stir the stain frequently during application
2) Rough surfaces hold more color than smooth surfaces
3) To ensure proper stain penetration and even drying results, avoid applying stain in direct sunlight.
4) Stain from the top down to avoid drips and spatters from spoiling previously stained arrears.
5) Apply stain in the direction of the grain of the wood.
6) To be sure you will be pleased with the final color results, select an inconspicuous place on the actual wood you will be staining and spot test the stain.
7) If using a pressure washer be extremely careful to work in the direction of the wood grain.
8 ) All the prep products mentioned are concentrated and can be applied with a pump sprayer, a garden hose applicator, or pressure washer.
9) Stronger mix ratios are not necessarily better or work quicker, stronger ratios can be harder to neutralize and remove from the wood.
10) If possible, complete the siding finishing within one week of surface preparation.
Read these tips if you are thinking about hiring a painting contractor.
A.G. Williams Painting – “Painting with Pride and Passion for Over 100 Years”