Q. Why should I choose A.G. Williams as my painter/contractor? What are your credentials?
A. A.G. Williams Painting Company is a family-owned and -operated company that has been in business since 1906. Now in our third generation of ownership, we take enormous pride in the level of service we provide and the relationships we’ve developed with our clients, employees, and vendors. You can read more about us on our History Page.
Q. Can I get references?
A. Yes, we can supply you with a list of references. We have painted for thousands of satisfied clients in neighborhoods throughout the area. Many of our clients have written to tell us how happy they are with their results. We’ve posted some of their comments on our Testimonials page.
Q. How often should I repaint my home?
A. All painted surfaces are different and have different requirements for repainting depending on exposure to environmental factors such as direct sunlight, air pollution, and rain. Exterior paint jobs should last six to ten years. Our Exterior Maintenance Program can help your exterior paint last even longer. The benefit is that the exterior of your home will look beautiful, longer and you’ll save money on your next full painting because preparation will take substantially less time. While interior surfaces may last longer than exterior surfaces because they’re not exposed to the elements, higher traffic areas like kitchens and bathrooms may require painting more often.
Q. How do I choose the right contractor for my project?
A. The age-old advice to “get three estimates for your project” still holds true. To make sure you’re looking at “apples to apples,” ask each estimator the same questions and compare their answers. Ultimately, you want to choose someone who appears trustworthy, will do the right job the right way, and will stand behind his/her work. Here are a few additional things to consider:
- Before you hire anyone, ask for a list of references and check them.
- Get your painting contractor’s mailing address, phone number, email address, and Home Improvement License number. Reputable painters will be willing to share this information with you.
- Ask what type of paints will be used on your surfaces. (Many manufacturers have different grades of paint, so you want to know specifically what your contractor will use on your home.)
- Ask how many years the company has been in business and how many employees they have. Long-standing companies with their own trained employees may be more reliable.
- Find out if company painters receive training on techniques and safety. This is standard practice in higher quality companies.
- Make sure you receive a detailed written contract (often called a “Proposal”) specifying all work to be performed with a start and finish date, along with a warranty statement.
- Inquire about payment terms. Contractors have a right to receive a deposit up front to purchase material and pay their labor, but be wary of those who request a large deposits before work begins.
- Require your contractor to provide you with a copies of workers compensation and insurance liability policies (telling you they “have it” isn’t good enough). As a homeowner, you can be sued if an uninsured worker is injured on the job.
Q. What is A.G. Williams's service area?
A. We provide painting, wallpapering, carpentry, color consultation, interior design, kitchen & bath renovation and general contractor services in Westchester, Fairfield, Putnam, and Rockland counties. You can read more on our Services Page.
Q. Can I receive an estimate over the phone?
A. It is nearly impossible to provide a meaningful estimate over the phone, even with photos and descriptions. Our estimates are free of charge. We meet with you at your home, take measurements and examine the condition of the surfaces to be painted. This attention to detail allows us to develop an appropriate price for the work to be performed.
Q. Is A.G. Williams licensed and insured?
A. Yes, we have workers’ compensation and liability policies, our home improvement license, and our EPA RRP certification. This protects you, A.G. Williams, and members of our painting crews.
Q. What do I have to do to get ready for the painters?
A. Depending on the project, we will walk you through the steps of what is required of you.
Q. How much time does A.G. Williams spend prepping?
A. Refer to our Detailed Interior Painting Preparation web page for information on our prepping procedures.
Q. Is powerwashing necessary before painting exterior surfaces?
A. Powerwashing your home is part of our procedure to remove surface pollutants such as dirt, mold, and mildew, ensuring that your home’s surfaces are clean and ready for painting or staining. You can read more on our Powerwashing page.
Q. My woodwork is painted in an oil-based paint. I don't like the odor of oil-based paints. Can I change it to latex? What about low odor and environmentally friendly paints?
A. New environmental regulations and consumer demand have led to the development of paints with substantially lower levels of volatile organic compounds (called low VOC paints and zero VOC paints) than what has traditionally been available, along with green painting supplies. Read more here.
Q. We have some rotted wood. Can you make repairs?
A. Yes. In fact, we have a full-service carpentry staff. We can take on renovations and repair rotted wood on the exterior surface of your home or office. Our Carpentry Services for Home and Office Renovations and Repairs page discusses this is detail.
Q. Does A.G. Williams provide touch-up paint after the job is complete?
A. Yes, we leave the leftover paints, properly labeled, along with a color schedule for each surface that was painted. We save each client’s color schedule for any touch-ups or future repaints.
Q. What if I have a problem after the job is over?
A. Unless we’ve made a different arrangement with you, our work is warranted for one year after completion. Certain special applications may be covered under warranty for up to five years (such as our elastomeric stucco coating). This does not mean your paint job won’t last much longer. In the event that the paint peels due to poor workmanship or product defect, we will stand behind our warranty and make the repairs. We offer a highly attractive warranty, and promise to be in business to service it.
Q. Do you have an online portfolio?
A. We sure do. Please visit our Showcase Page to see the transforming possibilities.