Who else loves the feeling after your home has received a new coat of exterior paint? It’s even more exciting when you combine a fresh color scheme and new paint!
Although the end result is always exciting, the process to choose the new colors can be daunting. The sheer number of possible colors and combinations is anxiety inducing.
With infinite color choices and potential, how do you start picking an exterior paint color that you will love?
1) Consider Your Neighborhood
Good neighborhoods usually have a predominant style or theme. While you want your house to stand out, you also want to consider how to harmonize with the feel of the area.
Another thing to keep in mind is your local Home Owners Association regulations. Often, neighborhood HOAs have certain requirements for exterior paint choices. Make sure that the color you choose complies with these requirements!
2) Consider The Style
Most neighborhoods have a consistent architectural style and color trends. Both architecture and color schemes will influence the overall “feel” of your home. Make sure that your color scheme matches the architectural style of your home.
Does this sound difficult?
- Start by heading online to do a search for similar houses. There are hosts of websites that offer inspiration.
- Check with your local painting company. Your trusted painter keeps up with the latest trends. In fact. A.G. Williams Painting offers a color consultation service. We understand the challenges of choosing the best paint colors and are here to offer our services.
3) Keep The Proportions
Most designers recommend using a 60-30-10 ratio to determine an exterior painting color scheme. What exactly does that mean?
- 60% of your home is a single, dominant color. Usually, this includes your siding.
- 30% of your home should be a second color. You can choose a bolder color that contrasts and complements your dominant color. Use this 30% for your roof color, garage doors or shutters.
- 10% of your home should focus on attention-grabbing details! Many people choose to use this contrasting color for their front door, but you can also choose your window shutters, gable vent, or another similar architectural feature.
Local Painting Experts in Connecticut and New York
Does this still sound daunting? For expert help with choosing the perfect paint color for your home, A.G. Williams Painting is your company of choice. A.G. Williams Painting has been in the industry for over 100 years. Our longevity has allowed us to build a company focused on expert painting and outstanding customer service.
We offer professional house painting services that include interior painting, exterior painting, kitchen cabinet repainting and refinishing and much more. We offer color consultations and 100 years of expertise in the painting industry. When you are ready to repaint your home, schedule a free estimate!