Exterior painting is a huge investment. There’s nothing more frustrating than seeing your investment peeling, cracking and deteriorating after just a few short years. A quality paint job should last for close to a decade, especially if the home has consistent maintenance.
What went wrong with the house paint that started peeling after a few short years? And more importantly, how can you protect your home from premature failure?
5 Common Reasons Paint Fails Prematurely
- Poor surface preparation: This may come as a surprise to many, but 80% of a paint job’s success happens before the paint is ever applied! Thorough preparation is crucial to extending the life of your exterior paint. Cleaning, repairs, sanding, patching and caulking are all ways to make sure that the surface is ready for paint.
- Poor quality paint: Quality paint will cost more, but it is absolutely worth the additional investment. Not only does it provide superior color retention, it also adheres to the surface better. This increases the longevity of the paint.
- Rushed process: DIY jobs (and unfortunately shoddy painting contractors) tend to rush jobs to get them done more quickly. This is done by rushing or skipping steps and can seriously impact the finished product.
- Working in the wrong conditions: although it is obviously not advised to work in the rain, painting in extremely hot sun can be just as damaging. A quality company with a thorough understanding of best painting practices is an essential part of the process.
- Using the wrong kind of paint: This is less of an issue than it used to be, but you should always know what type of paint you are painting over. For instance, if you try to layer new latex paint over old oil based paint without proper preparation… their incompatibility will become apparent quickly.
Hire A Skilled and Experienced Painter
These five common mistakes can cause your investment to literally crack, peel and fall off of your house. The good news is that a quality painter is going to do everything possible to keep this from occurring.
AG Williams Painting has been serving Westchester and Fairfield counties for over 100 years. If you have any questions about interior or exterior house painting, give us a call! When you are ready to start your next project, reach out for a free estimate. It would be our pleasure to serve you.